Low Quality sites with high DA?

danniee

Affiliate Guard Dog Member
Reaction score
I came across a familiar site (to me) while doing some keyword research that turned out to have a DA rank that really surprised the hell out of me. The domain name is not old, only registered less than 2 years ago. The website itself is visually a train wreck and I'm quite certain the one working on the site has no clue about seo since many factors point to that. The site doesn't rank too well otherwise.

Sure, there is a lot of text, but nothing out of the ordinary I would say. So how come this site has a DA rank of around 28? Nothing seems to suggest it has to do with link buildning either so there must be some other explaination to this.

Quite inspiring to see what can be acheived in such a short time frame with such small resources and would love to learn the secret he he.

petjah

Reaction score
Why would you care about DA? It's just a metric of (SEO)Moz. Which is, in my opinion, an overvalued SEO company. Rand Fishkin with his whiteboard Friday is/was very cool but making SEO complicated like it's some kind of science is unnecessary. Also their link database is nothing compared with Majestic and Ahrefs. Yes, even the new Link explorer is way behind.

Around 2014 - 2015 i was always checking these kinds of metrics for expiring domains. You would be surprised how many people paid lots of money to get an expiring domain with a DA of 50 who happens to have only a couple of random linkpartner page links and some forum links. The TF of Majestic is much more precise but also with TF you have to be very careful because these metrics are really easy to manipulate.

Talking about links. If you really want the best of the best you should check out Linkresearchtools. They literally know all your links (even mentions) and have in my opinion the best formulas for identifying if a link is powerful or spam. But Linkresearchtools is not cheap (extremely expensive) and has a learning curve.

petjah

Reaction score
Also, in the end, good rankings is all that counts. Focus on good content and powerful links. Watch your best competitors not some random competitors who has no clue what they are doing, not ranking high but happens to have a high DA. That's a waste of time.

danniee

Reaction score
People may have different opinions about Moz rank, but that's not what I'm here to discuss. I'm just curious and trying to learn about all possible aspects related to the world of seo.

Last edited:

eton

Reaction score
Petjah has explained it well Its just MOZ matrix mostly depending upon backlinks website have that might get down when Google bot would crawl.

pco

Reaction score
incoming domain redirects?

ralucaph

Reaction score
For SEO, it's not just DA from Moz, content and pagespeed matter a lot.

jiriprochazka

Reaction score
When I was doing some competitors analysis I saw a couple of websites with a terrible backlink profile, but ranking good. I was always wondering, how is that even possible that the website is ranking that good with almost 0 strong links.

I think it can have many explanations. As you said - a lot of content. If Google sees this content as the high quality, it's sometimes enough for ranking. It really depends on many factors. And when you are making an analysis, don't use just metrics from majestic, ahrefs, etc... You can for example use as a ranking factor a number of keywords the website is ranking in the top 10. That works very well.

AidanLCFC

Reaction score
For SEO, it's not just DA from Moz, content and pagespeed matter a lot.
For SEO DA from Moz doesn't matter. Some of these SEO'ers make me laugh. It like me trying to get a job as a fork lift driver but not knowing what a fork lift is

BetOnlineUK

Reaction score
For SEO DA from Moz doesn't matter. Some of these SEO'ers make me laugh. It like me trying to get a job as a fork lift driver but not knowing what a fork lift is

They must all be panicking (link sellers) as most of the DA metrics went down when MOZ revamped how they measured it.

xecutable

Stranger
Reaction score
They must all be panicking (link sellers) as most of the DA metrics went down when MOZ revamped how they measured it.

And the funny part is, it collided with Google's Florida 2 update (on the same date) so plenty of folks with names like RankOneSEOs, HireSeos etc asking how they can recover from the Moz update, because it affected their Google ranks and they dropped hard :D :D.

As for DA, DR, UR yada yada, if Google can be manipulated (plenty of blackhat sites and hacked sites in the serps) so can these third party sites. However the third parties are much easier to manipulate as they simply use a math algo, where # of links is 'x'. They do not have many, most or ANY of the other Google ranking factors, so the inflated number only needs a few links to move up.

Not to mention that DA, DR and all of those metrics are created for 1 purpose and 1 purpose only, to sell you a product. Without some made up number (even if it's a mathematically correct and complicated) they cannot sell you a 300$/month product, because you wouldn't have any measurement to compare your improvements and serp improvement take time. Thus they rely that their third party # will reflect the change much faster, even if Google doesn't.

This way you are left waiting, they've got their money and have you subbed for another month/year and blame it on Google for taking 30-60d to take a link into account.

danniee

Reaction score
Since starting this thread I've learned that DA means f*** all. Wouldnt waste my time trying to stress about those numbers.

xecutable

Stranger
Reaction score
Since starting this thread I've learned that DA means f*** all. Wouldnt waste my time trying to stress about those numbers.

Very well done. Many stay slaves on those numbers and viciously defend them, then build their entire seo plan around them.

Thomas Andreas

Reaction score
if you dont look at DA or other metrics. How do you decide if a link it worth it or not?