Links in Signatures

slickrick

Affiliate Guard Dog Member
Reaction score
Other then from a branding perspective, is putting links in your signature on forums worth while for SEO?

I notice everyone does it. Are there any SEO Benefits?

Guard Dog

Guard Dog
Staff member
Reaction score
It's worth the time. SEO benefits... yes and no. The link will likely not be 100% targetted, so from that standpoint it won't have a ton of SEO value.

However - AGD gets spidered MANY times per day, which is why you will see topics here quickly get into the SERPS.

So - from spiderability... your link will get spidered and your site will get indexed from such a link.

It's worth it, overall (IMO)

WCD Admin

Reaction score
I use them - and we make good contacts that way. It lets people know who you are (could be good or bad). Other webmasters visit your sites (again could be good or bad). It can help when you make contact with other webmasters, landing deals, etc. as you can introduce yourself like: I saw you posting on AGD, so I figured I could trust you :D etc. I also use them to judge the experience of a webmaster (loosely) too. And yes, I guess it could be good from an SEO standpoint too, as long as it's not abused ;D

Last edited:

dominique

Certification Member
Reaction score
I think a link also says that you stand behind your site and are transparent as a poster.

WCD Admin

Reaction score
I think a link also says that you stand behind your site and are transparent as a poster.
Good point. I need to work on that. I used to be afraid of programs beating me up for negative posts, but now I realize if they do that I'll easily be able to spot the crooks and remove them from my sites! For transparency: I am also "blackhawk" and "tarzan" and one other that I am keeping under my belt because I am ashamed of the name I picked 5 or 6 years ago when apparently my ego was really flurishing. :p

archiehall

Reaction score
Good point. I need to work on that. I used to be afraid of programs beating me up for negative posts, but now I realize if they do that I'll easily be able to spot the crooks and remove them from my sites!

good point 2:)

Dominique is a good example of someone using her links to build traffic. For someone with a little site, use a social bookmark like digg to highlight on of the pages on your site, google will come crawling.

Links in sigs will prob help with MSN & yahoo traffic but does very little for google.

1 strong link will be better than 1000 sig links for seo purposes, but sig links have their place

slickrick

Reaction score
Thanks for that, the reason I asked is because I am an active poster on a non gaming board, and one of the providers has offered me a solid chunk of change, to advertise their property in my signature exclusively for 3 months.

I am still trying to justify if I am selling my soul to the devil here or not.