In the market for a new laptop

Engineer

Super Moderator
Reaction score
My netbook isn't cutting it for me anymore (it's slow and the screen is too small), so I'm planning to buy a new laptop soon. I want something lightweight, but powerful.

Does anyone have any suggestions? If you own a laptop, what are some things that you like and don't like about it? Would you buy that brand again, or is there something about it you wish was a bit different?

Thanks in advance....

lots0

Affiliate Guard Dog Member
Reaction score
Two Words...

LENOVO THINKPAD

belgamo

Reaction score
You can Sony Viao to the AVOID list, worst laptop I ever bought. I like my 5 year old HP so much better than this piece of crap.

Monica

Affiliate Program Representative
Reaction score
my 2 cents

Avoid Sony and Hp seriously. Noisy computers and the fans had to be replaced multiple times on both :/
I would go with Dell for example, they seem to be making good machines these days.
Take care,
m

ocportal

Reaction score
Alienware laptops rock, Dell is behind those super machines.

Guard Dog

Guard Dog
Staff member
Reaction score
I would also avoid Gateway :)

It really depends what you are looking for, though. There are a new class of laptops coming out, I think they will be called Ultrabooks? Something like that. Anyway, they are super powerful - but SUPER THIN. Might be worth looking into. Lenovo has one coming out along with the HP Envy line.

They are on par with the Airbook (Apple). I think some of them have touch screen as well which will play well with Windows 2008.

lots0

Reaction score
I have to add to my two words.

At the end of 09 I bought a Lenovo Thinkpad W700 model. It was pricy, but that laptop has only needed one repair in three years. I had a sticky key on the keyboard. I called and the next business day I had a repairman at my door, with the part, it was fixed and he was on his way in less than 1/2 hour.

Since 2010 I have purchased for my help and ended up trashing a DELL XPS and a Toshiba Qosmio laptops.

My Lenovo W700 is still running strong.
From now on I will only buy Lenovo

FYI - Lenovo is the old IBM PC company. They make great stuff for serious business IMO.

Last edited:

Engineer

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback so far, everyone. I'll definitely steer clear of Advent, Sony, HP, and Gateway, and I'll take a closer look at Alienware and Lenovo.

Right now I'm looking closely at this one by Asus. People seem to like it; a few have compared it to Alienware. The key features:

- 750GB hard drive
- 8GB RAM
- Blu-Ray writer
- 1920 x 1080 native resolution
- Intel i7 processor
- $1,205.99

Has anyone owned an Asus?

DoggyStyle

Reaction score
Acer Aspire

I would stay away from Acer. I had an Acer. It was nice and cheap, BUT lots of plastic parts (instead of metal) and weak keyboard. I used it only at home (no traveling at all) and after a year it began to collapse...

Monica

Affiliate Program Representative
Reaction score
Hey E,
I actually had an Asus before and it lasted me quite a long time. I have had Hp, Sony, Fujitsu Siemens and the Asus when it comes to laptops.
The only problem I found with the Asus was the weight of the computer, everything else ran smoothly, including the fan which to me is the most annoying component in all computers.
The one I didnt try yet but would like to is both Mac and Dell which from what I have heard are the top brands at this time when it comes to reliability.
All I can say is, dont invest 2 much right now and wait for the super computers coming in the second quarter this year, they will be from what I have read worth the wait.
Hugs,
M

vd752

Reaction score
I'm looking for an Apple MacBook Air or MacBook Pro, at the moment I have a Lenovo X220 tablet with docking station - think to replace my desktop with it.

Last edited:

tleon

Reaction score
I loved my HP and it went bye bye on me lol so now I bought a Toshiba something or other and love it, never been happier. Goodluck with whatever brand you decide to buy. :)

michael26a

Reaction score
All of the computers and laptops I have ever owned were either HP or Dell. I suggest sticking to those high quality brands :) My friend recently bought a Dell Alienware laptop as a gaming machine. Its such a brilliant laptop and it performs so quickly. My Dell laptop has lasted for 3 years now, and I've been very happy with it. I think a reliable brand is just as important as owning a high performance machine.

bonusgeek

Reaction score
I love my Lenovo. I think I bought it on a recommendation from Lotso in another thread. So far it's been great, best computer I've ever owned.