How Much Memory Do You Guys Use Per Site?

edgarf76

Affiliate Guard Dog Member
Reaction score
I am running into a problem with maximizing my resources to the point where I have downtime. I am not using a VPS it is just a shared hosting plan with the hosting I am having an issue with. It hosts two sites and has with 512MB physical memory. Do you guys use a lot more than this? Could this be from Yahoo Smush It not being supported? Any help would be appreciated.

RyanWeb

Reaction score
No, I have several sites hosted on a server and I don't come close to that (shared hosting - godaddy, hostgator and ixwebhosting). I would guess it is one of your wordpress plugins causing the issue. Are you getting a lot of random hits/requests to the site from bots?

Take a look at your server logs and see whats using the most resources

edgarf76

Reaction score
No, I have several sites hosted on a server and I don't come close to that (shared hosting - godaddy, hostgator and ixwebhosting). I would guess it is one of your wordpress plugins causing the issue. Are you getting a lot of random hits/requests to the site from bots?

Take a look at your server logs and see whats using the most resources

I use the same as you mentioned above. Do you know where I can find the server logs to see the resources? I am just looking at the Imput/Output and physical memory over different periods of time.

RyanWeb

Reaction score
What hosting company is it with?

I had problems with bots for a while.. Installed iThemes Security (wp plugin) and renamed the wp-admin and wp-login directories (via the plugin) and that pretty much fixed it for me. They also blacklist some IPs from known bad bots etc.

Frank

Reaction score
I use 512mb for 1 site, I use a vps server with 2gb of memory, 24cpus and ssd along with cloud flare.. So i would consider upgrading to a VPS, it's only around $50 for a decent spec setup and the host I use do the updates and maintenance for free.. they have even installed modules for me free of charge unlike godaddy and alike..

edgarf76

Reaction score
I use 512mb for 1 site, I use a vps server with 2gb of memory, 24cpus and ssd along with cloud flare.. So i would consider upgrading to a VPS, it's only around $50 for a decent spec setup and the host I use do the updates and maintenance for free.. they have even installed modules for me free of charge unlike godaddy and alike..

I am thinking of upgrading but I have been watching some tutorials on operating a VPS. Who do you use to host your site?

AussieDave

24 years & still going!
Reaction score
Best thing I ever did was drop shared hosting back in 2007 and switched to a VPS. What kept me stuck with shared hosting? I'm not au fait with core updates etc etc.
Little did I know, you could get a managed VPS, which they do ALL the updates for you ;)

cPanel use around 256Kb of ram. A decent start-up VPS would be min 2gb of ram, 3 - 4 cores and SSD.
I run 4gb, ssd with 4 cores and the box has been hardened and optimised, so it runs pretty fast.

I wouldn't suggest going cheap because you get what you pay for. But a good middle of the road VPS service, should be is fine.

Guard Dog

Guard Dog
Staff member
Reaction score
I went to a VPS some years back and now am dedicated. VPS are better than shared, but only if set up correctly (which all are not). They *SHOULD* allocate the memory immediately for the VPS, but do not always do that - which then makes it a lot like shared hosting :( Additionally, they have to ensure that the CPU is properly allocated and not overused. As long as they set it up correctly, it is great. But with the CPU portion - they still have to not OVERCOMMIT. All said... you have to have the right company. We have a resource here - (https://www.affiliateguarddog.com/community/resources/liquidweb-hosting.5/) Who always do it right.

Yes.... I'm always going to point people to the resourced :) These are the best of the best, IMO.

AussieDave

24 years & still going!
Reaction score
they have to ensure that the CPU is properly allocated and not overused.

That's why cheap shared hosting is almost always oversold. It's why prices for a VPS can be hugely different.
Sometimes its better going dedicated, though, if the box sh#ts itself, it's not a case of hot swapping, like a VPS.

Frank

Reaction score
I am thinking of upgrading but I have been watching some tutorials on operating a VPS. Who do you use to host your site?

Knowh host.. Liquid web i have heard they are good also.. My experience knownhost have great prices.. and up time is awesome The only time I have needed support is when they installed some modules and did not even charge me, they backup the vps drive every other day.. they don't have live chat but email is quickly answered..