HELP: Nice search term rank BUT Google "Featured Snippet" is screwed up

PROFRBcom

Rakeback affiliate and professional poker player.
Reaction score
c1cb648c3672e3317645d524cfca4dd1.png

The data Google is putting into that snippet is being pulled from the left sidebar on the website and NOT from within the article. Clearly that is not useful information for searchers. Is there any way I can influence or preferably change the data being shown by Google in this search result? I'm sure if I could alter it to something meaningful it could greatly influence my CTR for this term which hovers at only 8.6%

frankcolt

Affiliate Guard Dog Member
Reaction score
I believe, not sure, but google reads the sidebar as the 'top' of your page - where you have USA Poker Sites written exactly 2 times - that might be the reason - change those and see what happens - I would only change those - the density might be perfect and you might get the hits you want

PROFRBcom

Reaction score
I think I found a hack way to do it. I don't know how to change how the page loads, and even if I did, I probably don't have access that high on the server. But, I looked at the code and it was loading the "left sidebar" code before the "main-content" code. So what I tried was moving the left sidebar material to the "right-sidebar"

After making the move, it appears that main-content now loads before the right-sidebar in the source code.

The Google results haven't changed, but the page probably hasn't been crawled yet. So, what I hope to do at this point is to come back to this thread in a week or two and report better CTR :)

Frank

Reaction score
it's being quality tested.. there is a feedback button there, I would just leave it alone,

frankcolt

Reaction score
submit the page to google - if it drops then change it back and wait a couple days and submit the page again

PROFRBcom

Reaction score
Even if Google did drop the page back down to it's current spot of 3, I wouldn't change the sidebar from right back to left. The sidebar being left oriented obviously was screwing with Google results and who knows how many other pages it's influenced search, position, etc. The only way I'll change it back is if all our rankings plummet and our click-through on those sidebar items goes to hell. Otherwise, this change seems necessary for the overall functionality of the site.

slotplayer

Reaction score
I don't think it's a code thing but could be wrong. I think its has to do more with the side bar appearing in the "above the fold" content.( like frankcolt said.)

I would not mess with it. I'm not sure what article snippet you want it to display?

But I'd only change Safe and secure USA online poker sites to Safe and secure US poker sites.

Odds are Gooners right.

PROFRBcom

Reaction score
I don't think it's a code thing but could be wrong. I think its has to do more with the side bar appearing in the "above the fold" content.( like frankcolt said.)

I would not mess with it. I'm not sure what article snippet you want it to display?

But I'd only change Safe and secure USA online poker sites to Safe and secure US poker sites.

Odds are Gooners right.

Yes, I do believe the left sidebar was loading in such a way as to come before main content. After changing the left sidebar into a right sidebar, I think it has fixed the loading order issue and the problem will hopefully correct itself.

I'm not changing anything to do with the titles. Not going to screw with something that isn't broken.

Also, changing too many things at once will make it very difficult to ascertain whether the changes were good or bad.

Guard Dog

Guard Dog
Staff member
Reaction score
Your sidebar is not using Google Snippets. So - that means Google was generating them based upon the content (and the H2 tags). If you wanted different snippets, you could probably have left the sidebar in place and done one of the following:

1. Create actual Google Snippets ;) https://developers.google.com/structured-data/rich-snippets/
2. Remove the H2 tag, re-style with CSS to keep them looking the same. Then use H2 in the places you want Google to focus on.
3. If that fails (doubtful) - then use CSS to keep the sidebar on the left (if you like it there), but move it below the fold code-wise

PROFRBcom

Reaction score
Your sidebar is not using Google Snippets. So - that means Google was generating them based upon the content (and the H2 tags). If you wanted different snippets, you could probably have left the sidebar in place and done one of the following:

1. Create actual Google Snippets ;) https://developers.google.com/structured-data/rich-snippets/
2. Remove the H2 tag, re-style with CSS to keep them looking the same. Then use H2 in the places you want Google to focus on.
3. If that fails (doubtful) - then use CSS to keep the sidebar on the left (if you like it there), but move it below the fold code-wise

Thanks for the advice. Now that I think about it I think I've seen something in WMT about snippets but didn't understand it at the time. Probably worth looking into, thanks.

With regard to the CSS and those H2 tags, I can't change that at all. Those H2 tags are generated when creating the block. I do not have enough administrator access to edit them.

Furthermore, I don't have access to the css folder so I couldn't change anything if I wanted to :(

I desperately need to find someone willing to hold my hand and explain to me how to transfer my website to a speedy server (for US traffic) that will allow me full access to my site, safety, updates, and backups on the server site, allow me to install modules, etc. As it stands I'm very handicapped trying to get things done. As to why it's set up this way, it's complicated, but we've outgrown our current hosting option :( This is a whole other post though at some point (though if someone wishes to take pity and help, please feel free to PM!)

Guard Dog

Guard Dog
Staff member
Reaction score
What kind of server is it on, currently? Sounds like a WIX or similar site? If so - I think they hold you hostage to their code for the most part and you would have to re-create your site entirely somewhere else.

PROFRBcom

Reaction score
What kind of server is it on, currently? Sounds like a WIX or similar site? If so - I think they hold you hostage to their code for the most part and you would have to re-create your site entirely somewhere else.

No, not on WIX. Though now that you mention that, someone suggested that to me a couple years ago and then again earlier this month, glad I refused both times.

The server is hosted by a friend/former client who runs an IT business with varying facets. As a professional poker player, I knew jack shit about anything website related and he gave it to me for free in the beginning (this was in 2007 I think). But as it stands, it is a shared server and he won't give me upper level access to it for fear I'll screw something up (probably a reasonable assumption). Now that I'm getting more serious about the site, this issue needs to be addressed. It's rather stressful when I have no basis for where to begin or how to proceed.

Guard Dog

Guard Dog
Staff member
Reaction score
He should be able to give you an export easy enough so you can push it to a new server. Since he is a friend - ask for him to help you set it up somewhere? He can also go to your new server and use WHM to pull the site into your server. It's been awhile since I have done this - but it isn't so difficult. I bet he could do it in a very small amount of time. What will take a little more time is the DNS (i.e., letting the internet know your site moved). That is a 24-48 hour process - although it will likely take a much shorter time.

PROFRBcom

Reaction score
what's the bet that the description will change ... And SO WILL YOUR POSITION .
o_O

Turns out, you were correct :(

MHW7WOv.png

FWIW, the article is better referenced internally, has more content, better graphics, faster delivery speed, and better optimized images since the original post. And is down 4 spots in rank and lost the snippet!

Anyone have any tips on how to increase my ranking for this valuable term that I lost?

Guard Dog said:
He should be able to give you an export easy enough so you can push it to a new server. Since he is a friend - ask for him to help you set it up somewhere?

Turns out it took nearly 2 years to get control away from them and into my own hands. Now I'm in need of a Drupal developer. Anyone have any tips on where to find a proven person/group, one that has preferably worked with gambling niche before?

Last edited: