Had enough of Win7 - Alternative OS Needed?

AussieDave

24 years & still going!
Reaction score
Even with 16gig ram, an i7 and other various top notch hardware, Win7 like it predecessors can chew up and waste resources, quicker than a New York Minute.
I've tweaked Win7 under-the-hood and in doing so, it runs noticeably faster. Though I'm still sure I've missed stuff, which Microsoft in their clueless wisdom, thinks I need and has this cr*p running covertly in the background.

Booted up the PC today and I'm greeted with a failed program message. Windows Media Player sharing program has stopped. I'm like WTF! Yet another program I don't use, just as I don't use their inbuilt security center et al, I user a 3'rd party antivirus, firewall and malware cleaner. And have a hardwired firewall on my Cisco router. I don't need Win7 holding my hand.

I have some programs like Dreamweaver which will only work on Windows OS but it's time I have a dual boot. I need some advice from others who do the same and, which Linux OS you use and other generalised information. I'd appreciate some feedback, thanks :)