GWT blocked resources report

Bonus Paradise

Affiliate Guard Dog Member
Reaction score
If you use banners provided from the affiliate programs, hosted on their server, this may be important
http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.nl/2015/03/unblocking-resources-with-webmaster.html

I checked in my GWT and see already pages from me reported for a blocked resource.
All are banners from affiliate program which have the banners (or directory where the banners are) disavowed in their robots txt.

If you fetch and render such pages in GWT you can see how googlebot sees your site and how users see it.
Users see such pages with such banners just fine, means they do see the banner of course.
Just googlebot does not, cannot ... whatever ..

What do you think, does it harm your ranks if such a resource/banner is blocked via robots.txt by the affiliate program?

3joker

Reaction score
Why don't you download the banner images and upload them to your server instead?

Bonus Paradise

Reaction score
Why don't you download the banner images and upload them to your server instead?

I am doing that, daily a few. This is a mega job if you have forum with many discussions.
Am not amused that affiliate programs have banners blocked via their robots.txt

Frank

Reaction score
External hosted resources will always show blocked including googles own G+ buttons, twitter etc.. Don't sweat it too much as you cannot do anything about it, And I have not seen it as a problem, if it were then 95% of websites would be erroneous

Guard Dog

Guard Dog
Staff member
Reaction score
It is also important to note that Google will give a 'false negative' on whether or not your site is mobile-ready if you have blocked resources like banners. So - if you are trying to fix a mobile template, remove those banners at least temporarily while testing with Google's tester. :)

slotplayer

Reaction score
too many server round trips to fetch banners is not good, better to host them yourself but then you have to deal with the maintenance problem.

WagerPod

Reaction score
I normally host the banner locally and use an extension such as /play/ for the link then add nofollow in robots.txt on some occasions I use the normal nofollow HTML attribute. I'll check that article out.