Google+

What do you think about Google+?

• I Love Google+

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • I hate Google+

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • I don't care about Google+

Votes: 14 70.0%
  • I am interested in Google+ but have not signed up yet.

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters

lots0

Affiliate Guard Dog Member
Reaction score
Thought I would start a poll about what everyone thinks about google+.

Guard Dog

Guard Dog
Staff member
Reaction score
I am so used to Facebook that I don't care for Google+. What REALLY annoys me, though, is how pervasive it is... maybe invasive is the right word. If you load it on your phone (Android) it will automatically upload any pictures you take by default. I'm not a big fan of that. Granted, you have to 'approve' them - but I dont like it anyway.

That was my first impression that got me to disable the software on my phone.

xecutable

Stranger
Reaction score
The only thing I use it for is backlinks, given the fact it's Google's. Otherwise seems messy, the whole circles concept etc. Not a big fan of social medias anyway. I voted for I don't care.

mattsgame

Reaction score
I am so used to Facebook that I don't care for Google+. What REALLY annoys me, though, is how pervasive it is... maybe invasive is the right word. If you load it on your phone (Android) it will automatically upload any pictures you take by default. I'm not a big fan of that. Granted, you have to 'approve' them - but I dont like it anyway.

That was my first impression that got me to disable the software on my phone.

I tried it out and I had the same impression so I removed it. Using it to promote your site or otherwise and it uploads personal photos :confused:

Just recently made a Facebook page and it is 100x better. Still got a thing or two to learn but finding it a lot more user friendly.

Engineer

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you load it on your phone (Android) it will automatically upload any pictures you take by default. I'm not a big fan of that. Granted, you have to 'approve' them - but I dont like it anyway.
I wouldn't care for that, either. It something invades my privacy or does things without my permission, I don't want it. Even if you have to approve the upload, the fact that it "prepares" to upload the pics to the internet is wacky.

Guard Dog

Guard Dog
Staff member
Reaction score
I wouldn't care for that, either. It something invades my privacy or does things without my permission, I don't want it. Even if you have to approve the upload, the fact that it "prepares" to upload the pics to the internet is wacky.

It doesn't just 'prepare', it uploads automatically. So - the pictures are on the web, just hidden until you activate them. I don't like it one bit.

dominique

Certification Member
Reaction score
I just hate this auto quick reply thing. I end up making tiny short posts that way. :( (derail)

Google+ would not accept my business account - it only wants me to open a personal account. That defies the purpose for me.

If anyone knows how to open a business account without getting booted, let me know. I am interested in doing that.

Engineer

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I just hate this auto quick reply thing. I end up making tiny short posts that way. :( (derail)
After you click the "Post Reply" button, you can click the "Go Advanced" button underneath the text box to get to the normal, larger text box. That's what I usually do, because I'm not a fan of Quick Reply, either.

lots0

Reaction score

Google+ would not accept my business account - it only wants me to open a personal account. That defies the purpose for me.

If anyone knows how to open a business account without getting booted, let me know. I am interested in doing that.
I had problems when I tried to set the viewer age to 21, it kept telling me the option was not available to me yet. So I removed the age limit and then I had no problems.... Till I tried to upload my logo, then I ran into a glitch where the google's image uploader wanted to blow up my 100 x 57 .png to 500 x 250 and then was trying to force me to crop it down, which would have made my logo unrecognizable.

There is learning curve if your used to FaceBook, and google is still working out the kinks.

All that said, if you want to compete in the google search results, you better start using google+ pages and "Google Authorship"... or you will get left behind in the google SERP by those that are using it.

Just using the google+ button on some of my pages (and have them get clicked on, google calls it 'Sharing') I have seen some dramatic increases in SERP placement.

Google+ does effect the SERP... No doubt about it.. they even tell you by how much in webmaster tools.

I have not seen any measurable results from the Google Authorship yet, but google says out right that if you use their Authorship markup it WILL effect the SERP and I take them at their word in this.

As far as Facebook business pages, I have a problem with the fact they want MY PERSONAL credit card info before I can add a APP as a developer. I don't mind giving out business info, but personal banking info is a definite NO WAY.

Last edited:

dominique

Certification Member
Reaction score
I signed up under my business name and google kicked me out saying I had to sign up with my real name.

dominique

Certification Member
Reaction score
After you click the "Post Reply" button, you can click the "Go Advanced" button underneath the text box to get to the normal, larger text box. That's what I usually do, because I'm not a fan of Quick Reply, either.

Yeah, I know, just an extra click and inconvenient.

lots0

Reaction score
I signed up under my business name and google kicked me out saying I had to sign up with my real name.
Ahhh..
You have to have a personal google+ account before you can have a business account/page.
This confused me as well. But google is requiring personal accounts first, to avoid spam and fraud.

You don't have to do more than just set up the personal account, you don't have to add pictures or text or anything much on your personal account, you do have to provide a link to your website, if your promoting a website, on your personal g+ page, but you can choose who to show it too.

Once you have a personal G+ account you can set up a g+ business page.
You can set it up so that your personal info is not shown with your business page and vice-versa.

As far a the google+, I just love those 'Circles', a really cool way to organize who sees what... So far it looks to be a very easy way to market directly too and interact with groups of Targeted Demographics...

I just had to add... from what I see FB was originally set up for social uses (to get people laid)... G+ has been set up from the git go to be business/search engine(SEO) friendly, not to mention that G+ participation WILL effect your sites rankings in google. That is a big difference IMO.

Last edited:

dominique

Certification Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that. I'll try again.

Smoky89

Reaction score
I rally don't care about Google+ and as far as i can see most of you don't.

lots0

Reaction score
Hmmmm I was kinda surprised at the results.

Then I realized that Google+ is not open to people outside the US... duh

If your outside the US and want a taste of G+... you can download the G+ App and see a small part of G+ on your Android phone. The full G+ should be available outside the US by the end of 2012.

You folks outside the US get ready... G+ so blows away Facebook...

dominique

Certification Member
Reaction score
Well, I just hear an eeeeecccchhhhooooooooooo in there.