Google OS says no to Hard Drives?

greek39

Affiliate Guard Dog Member
Reaction score
The soon to be released Google OS (operating system) will not be dependent on hard drives. Instead the hard drive will be replaced with SSD (solid state drive), a fancy acronym for flash memory or Ram-Drive.

Currently most OS’s rely on hard drives to operate. Because hard drives are sometimes slow to boot Google would like to eliminate this problem. By using Ram Drive boot time could be less the 7 seconds. Pretty fast IMO.

Although not official yet, there has been tons of discussions going on over the last year. Wired Magazine ran a story on November 19, 2009,

Google Chrome OS: Ditch Your Hard Drives, the Future Is the Web
Source: Google Chrome OS: Ditch Your Hard Drives, the Future Is the Web | Gadget Lab | Wired.com
In fact the considerations IMO are mind blowing, something to think about as we move towards a different Internet Age.

Consider for a moment the implications this may have for commerce online?
Consider all your apps being housed by Google?
Consider privacy issues?

Just a thought

greek39

Last edited:

Engineer

Super Moderator
Reaction score
A solid state (flash) drive sounds great, but I would never have my files and apps stored remotely with Google or anyone else. I'll keep all of that in my own hands, thanks. :cool:

WCD Admin

Reaction score
The fast boot sounds great. I am with Engineer about not letting go of my files, applications, etc. All this consolidation by Google freaks me out nearly as much as Microsoft. :eek: but a fast boot sounds great. What I'd like really, is a fast shut-down.

I have all my stuff on remote control (to kill the power at the source, so no phantom loads are running - because I am off grid , Solar, Hyrdo-electric)

So I have to sit there for half a minute sometimes waiting for the machine to turn off with my remote control in hand to kill the power. I usually stay up as late as I can, so its a drag sometimes shutting down. What really kills me is when it starts installing something at shut down and I'm sitting there freezing in my chair.... (don't ask why I am freezing) --- it has to do with not wanting to run electric heat off solar-power (not very efficient)

Thanks for the info Greek... interesting indeed.

mings

Reaction score
Did Google mention any use of SSD?

Looks like Google is giving away Chrome OS for free.
Very good for the competition IMO, cheaper windows next time.

Btw, if you want a fast boot/shutdown, get yourself an SSD hardisk. :) Everything will be twice faster.