GA Filters

slotplayer

Affiliate Guard Dog Member
Reaction score
The ghost spam entries in Google Analytics are really out of control.

I set up a bunch of basic filters at the admin level and applied them to all my sites. It been just two days and I can already see the bounce rate drop considerably. I'm sure there is a better way of doing it but these were pretty easy.

Google recommends making a master copy of your view(s) but oddly it does not copy and of the data across.

Bonus Paradise

Reaction score
Yes, I also set up many filters in GA. I am really upset about this spam referals.
I use Statcounter and GA,
interesting: Statcounter seems to be better. Means I trust these stats more. I don't see all this spam referal traffic there.
I already thought maybe better to not use GA anymore

Last edited:

slotplayer

Reaction score
Yes, I also set up many filters in GA. I am really upset about this spam referals.
I use Statcounter and GA,
interesting: Statcounter seems to be better. Means I trust these stats more. I don't see all this spam referal traffic there.
I already thought maybe better to not use GA anymore

Same set up I have. Statscounter does seem more accurate and easier to use. I also noticed the ghost GA referrals were not recorded in Statscounter as well, which makes sense as the ghosts GA referrals are someone generating random GA UA numbers and not actual visits.

I asked in the Statscounter forum one time (October 7th 2013, to be exact) about the difference I was seeing in GA and Statscounter visitors. I was thinking just now that maybe that difference was these spammed referrals but I went back and re-read my post:

I posted that the Stats Counter was higher than GA by 10%. Which is the opposite of what I see today. GA is now higher. Someone replied that it has to do with Javascript being enabled/disabled. GA does not count visitors that have Javascript disabled but Statscounter does. I also posted that I remember them being pretty close together. I had update the GA code and the Stats Counter code and was really wanting to know if that was the cause.

Frank

Reaction score
I use cloudflare Analytics, along with AW stats.. there is a massive difference in numbers.. btw I have been getting a lot of spam from site valuation . org .. consistently visiting every minute.. I might just block their IP altogether