CTA Colors

Slawete

Reaction score
Did you ever think what color should be your CTA links? Do you think it has a direct impact on conversions? It would be nice to share some observations here from your personal experience.

Engineer

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I track this, and I don't see much of a difference from one color to the next. Red, blue, orange, green, underlined, bolded, underlined on hover -- they all work the same for me.

I think the key is making sure the link stands out from the rest of the text. Make sure the reader can't miss the fact that there's a link there. Use a bright, saturated color and also consider underlining and/or bolding. For example, for bright red, use FF0000, not AA0000.

LA-Martyn

Affiliate Program Representative
Reaction score
I'm all for green buttons or a nice orange.

There is definitely a science behind the colour of CTA's and I'm all for it. Colours can represent or influence certain responses in people, for instance a big red button may mean danger. A blue button may generate a cold feeling towards it and the choice to then swerve the click.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_psychology

ARZ

Affiliate Guard Dog Member
Reaction score
I think the button colour should fit to overall website colour. Of course it should shine a bit more to be more visible.

I like blue colour of links and buttons. It is pretty good idea to change the button color shade when mouse cursor touches it.

Frank

Reaction score
I have tested.. never seen any more or less conversions there was an experiment from 3006 that claimed red was best but personally cant say for sure, i usually use colours that stand out against the main colours

NDG

Reaction score
We tend to use red or dark orange.. but whatever you use.. it should fit into the
color scheme of your web site. Make it look pleasant to the eyes, but also to
stand out enough that visitors can see that it is a link. I don't really think the
color matters as long as it fits well into the color scheme of the web site, and
as long as your color scheme is not something odd like yellow and lime green.

Slawete

Reaction score
I also found somewhere an article about testing colors that says the red was the most clicked, explaining that red means forbidden and that is what attracts more attention. However, I do agree, the website's theme should be preserved.

PROFRBcom

Rakeback affiliate and professional poker player.
Reaction score
I have tested.. never seen any more or less conversions there was an experiment from 3006 that claimed red was best but personally cant say for sure, i usually use colours that stand out against the main colours

I always knew you were a time traveller!

I also read an article somewhere that did split testing on cta buttons of different colours. Apparently, the colour does not matter much but the visibility and placement of the button does.

Do you have a link by chance? I'd like to read this one. I have read about colors before and like everyone else, I saw the red = excitement and clickage. I'm actually doing some A/B testing on that but last I looked at the internal stats, there wasn't any appreciable difference.

PROFRBcom

Reaction score
Thank you very much DaftDog. That was a good read. For a while now I have been meaning to change up some of our buttons and this article has inspired me to make that tomorrow's task. Appreciate the inspiration.

Slawete

Reaction score
Yes! That was the post I read too. But I found another one bookmarked on my browser, about colors on gambling sites, but I'm not allowed to post links.

PROFRBcom

Reaction score
but I'm not allowed to post links.

Post the link like hXXp://sitedomain.extension/url-stuff-goes-here and it won't show up as a link. Unless of course you can't post links for some other reason, this should work and allow you to share your (hopefully useful) information...

Slawete

Reaction score
Post the link like .......... and it won't show up as a link. Unless of course you can't post links for some other reason, this should work and allow you to share your (hopefully useful) information...

I've tried. Not working. Just google the title below.

Colours that influence, highly debated affiliate webmaster talks

Joonas

Certification Member
Staff member
Reaction score
It's best to do A/B-testing with different colors and other things related to CTA. What works for one might not work in another context.

ARZ

Reaction score
It's best to do A/B-testing with different colors and other things related to CTA. What works for one might not work in another context.

Yes, you are right, but it´s really time consuming. Wish I had a time for more A/B tests, not just buttons.

Zamsino

Reaction score
Red i think for attractiveness but it may look like a stop sign to what visitors are used to :), Go for Green!