Budapest Affiliate Notworking Meet Up (DATE, PLACE & TIME POSTED)

bonustreak

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok I have been asked to organize a non formal meet up for affiliates like we did in London, which was great and very nice to put names to faces, faces to names whatever..haha So I am thinking it would be good to do around 16:00 right after everyone has a chance to pre register at the hotel lobby. That gives a 2 hr window then we can all move over to the hotel for 18:00 PM - Welcome Drinks at the Official BAC Hotel, sponsored by Bingo Base

Rules anyone is welcome including AM's but we are going to be very annoyed if AM's start doing the whole song and dance while we are trying to relax and meet one another. Just come and enjoy yourselves and save all the sales pitching for the next few days
smile.gif
Woot ok now I will start looking for a pub close by, any suggestions please come forth!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/event.php?eid=122875194222

<TABLE class="profileTable info_table" id="Event Info" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=label>Host:</TD><TD class=data>iGaming Notworkers
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=label>Type:</TD><TD class=data>Party - Bar Night
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=label>Network:</TD><TD class=data>Global
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=label>Price:</TD><TD class=data>Free
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class="profileTable info_table" id="Time and Place" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=label>Date:</TD><TD class=data>Thursday, September 10, 2009
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=label>Time:</TD><TD class=data>4:00pm - 6:00pm
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=label>Location:</TD><TD class=data>Boom Brass
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=label>Street:</TD><TD class=data>1054 Budapest, Vigado u 4-6
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=label>City/Town:</TD><TD class=data>Budapest, Hungary
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Last edited:

sipka

Affiliate Guard Dog Member
Reaction score
I know a nice open-air place near your hotel, it is called "Gödör" (Hole or Pit in English I suppose), it is about 10 minutes walk from Sofitel or the Chain Bridge, usually filled with young people (like us lol) and there used to be live performances too, the whole thing is like a big terrace with seats and tables.

If you prefer something not in the open then we could go to the Longford Irish Pub (it's a nice place too), it can be reached with a 15 minutes walking from your hotels. Here is a map: Restaurant Longford Irish Pub Budapest

Fortunately the hotels are in the exact downtown, so a lot of pubs can be reached within 10-20 minutes walking.

And one advice in Budapest: never take a taxi that you see on the streets waiting, they are usually without a regulated company (sharks lol) and they will charge 4x-5x the money you would expect. Some taxi companies phone number (though I'm not sure they talk English, but they are reputable, unfortunately in Hungary the people don't speak English in masses).

Főtaxi: +36-1-2-222-222
Taxi 2000: +36-1-2-000-000
Tele 5 Taxi: +36-1-5-555-555

(Hungary's country code is "36", Budapest's area code is "1".)

I will be at this Thursday gathering, so just let me know if you need any help :)
I can't hardly wait to meet you all guys ;D

bonustreak

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
WOW your a big help and OMG on the taxi thing I can see this being a mess already like Barcelona was when it was time to get a taxi. Thanks for the #'s and so your saying calling is the only way to get a taxi? I think it would be possible to have whatever place your at to call a taxi for you also. I prefer a walk of 10 mins but something around 5 is even better!! I am also going to create and igaming notworkers event on facebook so the word gets out to more people.​

Last edited:

sipka

Reaction score
It is also OK if you see the above mentioned taxi companies' cars on the street waiting at an assigned place for taxis. Usually the brand name can be seen at the top sign of the car and written on the side of the cars, you can get into those taxis, just don't take no-name ones.

I will give my mobile phone number to whoever turns up at the Thursday meeting, or sends me a PM, and if you know that you will need a taxi then I can call one for you. Prepare Hungarian Forints for payments, because dollar isn't really accepted, some places accept Euros though.

Regarding pubs, usually there are ones where you get the drink for yourself, you can give a tip here too, but it is not expected (as its a self-service thingy), and there are another places where you sit down, a waiter brings out drinks/food, at these places you can give a tip (around 10%) if you are satisfied with the service (but it's not mandatory if you didn't like it) and there are some places where they include the tip into the prices, but it is always indicated on the food/drink list.

Usually places that are not tourist frequented cost half or less to eat-drink lol.
Let me know if you want to eat something good ;D

TrishOZ

Reaction score
Hey Sipka,

Thanks for the kind offer to look after us tourists :)

Can I ask, do you know if the regulated Taxi's will take payment by credit card at all? Or is it more usual to just pay in cash?

Thanks for the help and I'll see you guys at the notworking event!

TrishOZ

Reaction score
Have your drinking shoes on Trish we have what 2 yrs to make up for in drinking :) Been a long time and looking forward!!;D
Haha Yes! I will even bring a spare pair! Been a really really really long time and I can't wait - make sure you let me know where you guys decide to have this! ;D

alexpratt

Reaction score
I will see if I can sneak out of the set up and join you guys as this sounds like fun - On the taxi front I read this in a free tourist guide I picked up in the hotel - - It said that if you do flag them get ones with a yellow number plate and meter - It also said most major firms have opeators that speak English - Here are some numbers they printed on top of teh ones sipka printed

City Taxi
Tel: +36 1 211 1111

Buda Taxi
Tel: +36 1 233 3333

6x6 Taxi
+36 1 266 6666

Tele 5 Taxi
+36 1 555 5555

Radio Taxi
+36 1 777 7777

Taxi 4
+36 1 444 4444

sipka

Reaction score
Hey Sipka,

Can I ask, do you know if the regulated Taxi's will take payment by credit card at all? Or is it more usual to just pay in cash?

Some cars accept credit cards, but it is not common, it is always good to have some cash with you, because the taxi cabs themselves here are privately owned by the driver, not the company he works for (the company only serves as a "ride dispatcher"), so it depends on what he will install in his car.
The usual fare for taxis consists of a base price (usually around 300-400 HUF) and fee per kilometer (220-300 HUF) and waiting fee if necessary (50-70 HUF/minute). Your sum shouldn't exceed 4000-5000 HUF (but it is then a very long distance), Budapest isn't that big and the reputable taxi companies will take you from one point to another for 2000-3500 HUF on an average (exception could be if you travel in peak times and you got stuck in traffic jams, but taxi drivers are smart people lol, they will find a way out).

You can exchange money in any banks - there are a lot of banks near your hotels - and at official currency exchangers. Do not exchange money on the street, there is always something shady in those transactions. Banks exchange money with a very great ratio, I think Alex sent this info out also in the latest BAC newsletter and he is right :)
Hope this helps :)

TGP

Reaction score
Great Info guys thanks!!!

See you all there :)

bonustreak

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Alex and Sipka I will be doing my final search for a place to meet today, I think it has to stay very close to the main hotel because there are so many things going on around there the first day plus many have dinner plans before the Expekt party I am sure as well. Alex has also kindly offered to have this sent out next week in the official party mailer as well for us, doesn't he rock!!

So on with my search...

bonustreak

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
UPDATE:

Boom and Brasshttp://www.boombrass.com/

Is the place I am pretty sure I am going to choose I am asking Alex to call and book it for around 50 people to be safe it has a huge outside terrace and over looks the busy city. The menu seems fair to me. I will get back to you but this is perfect if they can hold us all
smile.gif

TrishOZ

Reaction score
Alex has also kindly offered to have this sent out next week in the official party mailer as well for us, doesn't he rock!!
Top bloke award goes to Alex! I reckon the Notworking event should be a standard on the conference calendar!

sipka

Reaction score
Top bloke award goes to Alex! I reckon the Notworking event should be a standard on the conference calendar!

Hahaha, and I thought that Bonustreak mistyped the "networking" word ;D
I lolled at Not-working :p

TGP

Reaction score
Hey Bonustreak,

Seems like a very nice place and you are booking it for 50 people, who is invited?

bonustreak

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Everyone is invited :) NO sales pitching allowed the rule is anyone doing this will be beaten with a wet noodle 100 times! We will send an invite on the facebook group "iGaming Notworkers" as well that has about 1,000 members so it will be a good turn out and if not so what it will still be a blast! ;D

Sipka what is the weather like is it shorts and t-shirt time or jeans and jacket etc time?

TGP

Reaction score
LOL good idea im in :) thanks! When and at what time?

sipka

Reaction score
Sipka what is the weather like is it shorts and t-shirt time or jeans and jacket etc time?

At the moment it is hot, they say cooling down for tomorrow, and warming up from the middle of next week. Definitely short and t-shirt time, as the cooling down will be around 26-27 Celsius.

From my experience Accuweather's forecast is very near, so I have searched but could find only till 11th September:
http://www.accuweather.com/world-fo...eler=0&locCode=EUR|HU|HU006|BUDAPEST&metric=1

For Thursday they say 27 Celsius, Friday will be a bit colder with 22 Celsius, and I cannot see further at the moment.