Btag changes - Another way to shaft affiliates!

Do programs JUST change aff tracking codes to collect free players?

• Yes - Most affiliate programs are crooks out to screw affiliates anyway they can

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe - Some programs seem to change their trackers for no reason

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • No - They change trackers for legit reasons

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Unsure

• WTF is a Btag - You mean I can't just add a banner to my page?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Aussie-Dave

Former AGD Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

With the number of vocal posts around the aff forums lately and with my own public outing on the horizon with regards to affiliate shaving & scallywag behaviour, it got me thinking about the number of times affiliate programs have changed their tracking codes.

Decided to run a poll and get some input. Maybe, like me, it hasn't crossed you mind till now.

Lets us know what you think and share your thoughts on this topic.

Cheers

:)

Dave

Vladi

Affiliate Guard Dog Member
Reaction score
Of course. Its an easy way to clear out a bunch of old affiliates that don't keep up to date. Especially when the old links get 301'd so they still work, you just don't get credit for it. Its a major reason why all your links should be centralised so that if they change you only have to change one spot in a database / php script etc.

Guard Dog

Guard Dog
Staff member
Reaction score
Poll said:
Yes - Most affiliate programs are crooks out to screw affiliates anyway they can

Yes, would be my answer, but the rest of it is just too much for me. I believe that changing of tags 'can' be for the purpose of gaining players untagged.

However - I think most cases are legitimate for changing their links (i.e., new software for banner serving). BUT - that they do not spend the extra money on the old script to redirect as 'tagged'. Instead they put that onus on their affiliates.

Some are crooks and do it purposefully, IMO.

Links - Yes, affiliates should centralize their links. Otherwise it is impossible to change them with 100% accuracy.