Avoid MediaTemple.net

AussieDave

24 years & still going!
Reaction score
Purchased a couple of domains (and a site) from an affiliate, a couple of months back. That side of the transaction went smoothly, all good. However, issues arose from MediaTemple.net where both domains were registered (this is still ongoing).
  1. MediaTemple.net flatly refused to release the domains from the former holder's account, even though the entire whois data (ownership) had changed.
  2. They'd only release the domains if the former owner wrote them an email requesting the move. (that issue was addressed).
  3. However, the domains had to be placed into a new MediaTemple.net account, which was setup for me. Finally thinking all is good. Sadly, it was anything but good!
  4. Both domains expire on 21'st Nov 2017, so I contact MediaTemple.net (support ticket) around the 7'th Nov 2017, requesting an invoice to pay for said domains.
  5. By 15'th ticket remained "open" with no reply.
  6. Time running out, login into Godaddy and commence registrar transfer to GD. Pay 12 months reg for both domains. Receive email notifications from GD, add domain keys etc. Process of transfer commences.
  7. This process can take up to 7 days. Though, in my 20+ years experience with domains reg processes, that task is almost always completed much, much sooner.
  8. Today is the 7'th day, domains have not be released by MediaTemple.net - support ticket still "open", and unanswered.
  9. Worse case scenario these domains expire and go on hold. Then when released back to public, they will automatically be registered at Godaddy. Least that's what I hope happens.
After all this BS and hoop jumping, I'm now in this shitty position. Worse, out of pocket $$$'s.

This screw up, solely lays at the feet of MediaTemple.net - they are incompetent tossers, and should be avoided.

Last edited:

NDG

Affiliate Guard Dog Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear of your troubles. Normally, the registrar will hold the domains for a redemption period
and that tends to vary, so keep hounding them.. and maybe you can get the domains renewed before
they decide to put the domains to auction or release them back to the registry. You could obviously
renew them when they are released to the registry, but the main concern is if the registrar will send
the domains to auction to be sold off, before releasing the domains back to the registry.

AussieDave

24 years & still going!
Reaction score
@NDG - decided to start making phone calls yesterday, instead of support tickets. Godaddy, as always were very helpful, in addition to understanding the urgency concern. Don't know if they had anything to do with speeding up the process, but received notification from them a few hours ago that both domains were released, and now are in my GD account :)