Anyone use Wireless Hotspotting for increasing links on the web?

Vertigo

Affiliate Guard Dog Member
Reaction score
A "friend," of mine opened up a hotspot on his small side business's wireless at his "office." (read...home office, he has a day job.) and then got his blog / side job web address listed in hot spot directories.

He swears by it saying that his link back count went up dramatically. He is consistently at the top of search engines when you search for content that is somewhat related to his blog / hobby content, but completely unreleated to his actual business. I've seen his blog / site come up above other sites (in google searches,) that I know are directly focused on the core content and those sites have very active forums dedicated to the core content.

Its my theory that if you didn't have a hot spot even set up but listed one, you could use this to get more link backs as...who really checks small hot spots in the middle of a city / residence and would report them if they didn't work? Shady...sure...a little, but setting up a secure (to your home network,) hotspot with minimal bandwidth and time limitations is pretty simple if you actually did set one up.

Seems like a viable option that could have a very positive impact on SEO.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

bc518

Affiliate Guard Dog Member
Reaction score
It of course does help. for example if you put your website as homepage on all PCs of a internet bar, you will get a lot of clicks.

Guard Dog

Guard Dog
Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting thought, Vertigo. I'd like to hear SEOPants analysis on this one.. or even AffCorner who has good SEO experience.