Alexa Ratings

edgarf76

Affiliate Guard Dog Member
Reaction score
Has anyone noticed that the Alexa ratings have been way off since Amazon bought the company? Perhaps they were always messed up but I used to use them as a way to see how much traffic a site gets. Now the ratings are so far off. Any of you guys still using the Alexa free or paid version?

LandofOz

Affiliate Guard Dog Member
Reaction score

AussieDave

24 years & still going!
Reaction score
I tested it out years ago by buying a total of 300,000 (cheap) bot visits over a 3 month period. My rankings went up noticably...
That btw was well before Amazon bought it!

Most of these rankings I take with a grain of salt because they can be manipulated!

The only thing I take notice of are my own stats and raw log files ;)

Carlos Daniel

Reaction score
Has anyone noticed that the Alexa ratings have been way off since Amazon bought the company? Perhaps they were always messed up but I used to use them as a way to see how much traffic a site gets. Now the ratings are so far off. Any of you guys still using the Alexa free or paid version?

This idea is already known. The website called Alexa has been offering the same type of information forever. Everyone already knows that Alexa the data should be taken with a grain of salt, which is not particularly accurate. In addition, their reports clearly indicate that the numbers are "Estimates" just where they are displayed. SimilarWeb has a fresh look that is something like Google Analytics. He seems to be trying to give people an impression that their numbers are 100% accurate.
The SimilarWeb website, on the other hand, is fairly new, and that could be the biggest reason for its popularity with the people I'm dealing with.

PROFRBcom

Rakeback affiliate and professional poker player.
Reaction score
Everyone already knows that Alexa the data should be taken with a grain of salt, which is not particularly accurate.

I actually had an affiliate manager compliment me on our Alexa rankings a while back (they were worlds top 500k or something like that at the time). So I guess not everyone knows. And come to think of it, that particular affiliate manager is a moron and I wish they'd get fired from their job...!

juegos

Reaction score
Alexa's scraper is far inferior to Google's, doesn't give me accurate stats.

hcgroup

Reaction score

Alexa has always been a poor indicator of site rankings. But recently it is worse due to Google algorithm changes.