roey

From Pandora.
Reaction score
Hi,

Which is better?

Engineer

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I like gif banners because I can host them myself and they show up on all devices -- unlike Flash, which doesn't work on (cr)apple devices.

Guard Dog

Guard Dog
Staff member
Reaction score
I always choose gif as well. I can host myself easier and put my own tracking to them easier.

Leo

Affiliate Guard Dog Member
Reaction score
Well I would say PNG :)

No reason to use a GIF when the same exact image will ALWAYS be smaller when you convert it to a PNG.

No loss of detail (unlike lossy jpgs), just a better format.

My final step is to always run the files through 'PNG Gauntlet' software which makes the filesize even smaller, while again losing absolutely no quality. Amazing, and free from http://pnggauntlet.com/

There's also JPEG Reducer software which also can marginally reduce size of .jpg files with NO loss of quality, free from http://home.arcor.de/shld/thejpegreducer/

I only use Flash when absolutely necessary, eg. Live Odds banners.

Last edited:

Guard Dog

Guard Dog
Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure about the PNG idea above. It's great for static banners, but provides no animation as far as I am aware. I prefer some animation to my banners to grab the user's attention.

Leo

Reaction score
Not sure about the PNG idea above. It's great for static banners, but provides no animation as far as I am aware. I prefer some animation to my banners to grab the user's attention.

Good point, I didn't think about that because I don't use animation, I don't want to grab anyone's attention :)

I mean when I'm on a website I hate things moving around in my peripheral vision, I'm more likely to close the page just to get rid of it!

So I tend to mostly use text links with 'calls to action', since I would be more likely to click those myself, rather than banner ads. I just use images to support the text. But I guess there's a good chance that animated banners could convert more.

Also it is possible to have an animated PNG but it's not well supported by most browsers so unfortunately pretty useless.

slotplayer

Reaction score
I've actually been moving in the opposite direction and stripping my site of banners whenever I update a page.

Mobile-friendly is the way to go.

bonusgangster

Reaction score
Gifs are normally going to be much smaller than a PNG as GIfs only support 256 colors and are lossy (they discard info about the file as optimization changes) while PNGs support 16.7 million colors and are lossless (meaning they do not discard some of the data about file). The other users statement about saving a GIF as a PNG is not accurate as they will normally be about 3 times the file size, although PNGs sometimes will be smaller, but that is rare and depends on the original file type. The only real reason to go with a PNG over another file format most of the time is if you need a lot of colors, there are heavy transparencies and you don't mind having a larger file size.

Leo

Reaction score
Gifs are normally going to be much smaller than a PNG as GIfs only support 256 colors and are lossy

If you convert a GIF to a PNG it doesn't increase the number of colors, the color palette stays the same so it will still have 256 colors (or less). The filesize of a PNG is always smaller. Also GIFs aren't lossy, they retain all information, unlike a JPG.

saving a GIF as a PNG is not accurate as they will normally be about 3 times the file size

No, you must be thinking of saving a JPG as a PNG, then the PNG may be 3 times the size of the JPG, due to the number of colors and due to not being optimized for photo-style compression like a JPG. But for converting GIFs that is not the case at all.

Send me as many GIFs as you like, I'll send them back as PNGs and every one will be smaller (or in a few rare cases no size difference), with absolutely no loss of quality.

Last edited:

roey

From Pandora.
Reaction score
What have I started lol.

So gif's win over flash, unless the site only runs off flash.

bonusgangster

Reaction score
Jam your correct :) if you take an existing GIF file and save with PNG settings as a flattened file and not the editable PNG version it is smaller than the GIF version of the same file. I was coming more from a design standpoint and assuming figuring out the best file format to use on an image, which of course would depend on what that particular image was going to be used for and what it included. But taking an animated GIF banner from an affiliate programs and saving as a flattened PNG wont carry over the animation, but will be smaller file size.

sasa

Reaction score
I preffer gifs (images) instead of using flash for all reasons mentioned above plus with images you can create css sprites which can help you to reduce the number of HTTP requests and speed up your site.

LandofOz

Reaction score
I prefer .gif images. They load faster and are easier to track and manage.