Website transfer options?

roey

From Pandora.
Reaction score
Hi all,

Right, thought id try an new host as GoDaddy has been awful the past year so i tried siteground.

Happy with their introductory offer of 60% off and opted for the months trial to see how things went, and they went on just great, great support and speed. So i go try try and pay for the year and im no longer a new customer and have to pay full price WTF.

Feel shafted.

Anyway, the point of the post, whats the best way to transfer the website and databases etc

Ive been recommend to use Populate, is this best for a wordpress site?

PaaskeUK

Affiliate Guard Dog Member
Reaction score
You should try Site5 I found them brilliant since changing and I went from Hostgator. Not looked back since. Service always great and not really seen any downtime apart from couple minutes at night every couple months. I think also when they have been doing upgrades and other stuff. But always access to backend no matter what. And prices are great as well.

FPForum

Reaction score
Did you buy godaddy's web hosting with cPanel? Or with their own in-house control panel? If it's cPanel then it's extremely easy.. Just generate the backup and most hosts will do the transfer for you with that backup file.

roey

From Pandora.
Reaction score
Did you buy godaddy's web hosting with cPanel? Or with their own in-house control panel? If it's cPanel then it's extremely easy.. Just generate the backup and most hosts will do the transfer for you with that backup file.
Almost done it just had a terrible time with the database.

AussieDave

24 years & still going!
Reaction score
Happy with their introductory offer of 60% off and opted for the months trial to see how things went, and they went on just great, great support and speed. So i go try try and pay for the year and im no longer a new customer and have to pay full price WTF.

I use siteground to host a site in the USA. Can't complain about anything they have.
Support tickets are answered most times less than 5min but not greater than 15min. cPanel is loaded with a heap of additional options.

GrowBig Hosting account:
  • $85.83US for 12 months.
  • Dedicated IP @ $23.98 for 12 months.
I am guessing, the 60% discount would be... if you'd have purchased the hosting without the 1 month free trial. But because you took the free month, you got hit the full hosting price. It is a business not a charity!
Besides, what I'm paying works out @ $1.65 per week...

I have a VPS here in Australia, that costs me $100US a month (fully managed).
Even that doesn't have the cPanel options siteground has and it definately can't compete with their super fast 24/7 support either.

I really don't think Siteground deserves this BAD rap you've given them... Did you contact support or just post here instead...

roey

From Pandora.
Reaction score
Can't complain about the hosting or support, just that it was suggested to take the months trial and then "oh sorry you are no longer a new customer, the new price is £85"

AussieDave

24 years & still going!
Reaction score
the new price is £85

Well that's a bit bizarre in itself...
The only 60% off deal is for the base hosting (Start Up) plan - 60% OFF the regular $9.95/month.

Edit: At full price $9.95/month it's $120.32US for 12 months. And £85 > USD = $127.40

Did you read the https://www.siteground.com/terms.htm ?

Last edited:

roey

From Pandora.
Reaction score
What's bizzar is you have taken the time to go through prices and post but you don't know what was in my basket.

Frank

Reaction score
I just renewed some domains, they show a reasonable price.. then after all the compulsory addons it works out double, terrible customer service no help what so ever, I changed to Known host VPS, they also do a lot of the lifitng work with server issues which go daddy likes to charge $70 a pop