Totally disable your WP feeds

AussieDave

24 years & still going!
Reaction score
One way scrapers and other undesirables can gain easy access to your blog content is via your WP rss and comment feeds. While you can remove your RSS links in your WP header and on-site links, these do not stop your WP site producing feeds from you blog posts.

To totally disable WP producing RSS feeds, you need to add the following php code to you theme's functions.php file.

Code:
function fb_disable_feed() {
wp_die( __('No feed available,please visit our <a href="'. get_bloginfo('url') .'">homepage</a>!') );
}    
add_action('do_feed', 'fb_disable_feed', 1);
add_action('do_feed_rdf', 'fb_disable_feed', 1);
add_action('do_feed_rss', 'fb_disable_feed', 1);
add_action('do_feed_rss2', 'fb_disable_feed', 1);
add_action('do_feed_atom', 'fb_disable_feed', 1);
add_action('do_feed_rss2_comments', 'fb_disable_feed', 1);
add_action('do_feed_atom_comments', 'fb_disable_feed', 1);

I placed this code directly under the RSS comment tag in my theme's functions.php file.

From now on my RSS feed is totally disable. Another hole blocked to anyone or anything using my RSS feed to obtain my content.

Frank

Affiliate Guard Dog Member
Reaction score
I Post daily content, and I get quite a lot of backlinks from sites that use rss feeds.. not to mention certain apps in Android that add me to their news.. This would be for Static sites more so?

AussieDave

24 years & still going!
Reaction score
I Post daily content, and I get quite a lot of backlinks from sites that use rss feeds.. not to mention certain apps in Android that add me to their news.

Like everything common sense should prevail.
In your case, if the positives (keeping your feeds) far out-weight the negatives, then clearly you wouldn't impliment it, it would be daft to do that!

FYI static wordpress pages are not added to the RSS feed. Only blog posts are.

I impliment this mod because apart from scrapers, content theives and misbeahing bots, no sites with any value, syndicate my feeds. Hence, by having my WP feeds active, I'm just making it easy for scum to scrap my content and out rank me.

Last edited:

AussieDave

24 years & still going!
Reaction score
Problem is they keep adding new channels.

And that's why these type of sites are bad news.
They skirt copyright laws by allowing the RSS owner to claim the feed(s) but then just add more feed channels. So you end up becoming stuck in a revolving door of frustration.

muffincrumbs

Reaction score
Great info Bet! I'm going to implement it on a couple of sites, but leave it for news sites.

edgarf76

Reaction score
One way scrapers and other undesirables can gain easy access to your blog content is via your WP rss and comment feeds. While you can remove your RSS links in your WP header and on-site links, these do not stop your WP site producing feeds from you blog posts.

To totally disable WP producing RSS feeds, you need to add the following php code to you theme's functions.php file.

Code:
function fb_disable_feed() {
wp_die( __('No feed available,please visit our <a href="'. get_bloginfo('url') .'">homepage</a>!') );
}    
add_action('do_feed', 'fb_disable_feed', 1);
add_action('do_feed_rdf', 'fb_disable_feed', 1);
add_action('do_feed_rss', 'fb_disable_feed', 1);
add_action('do_feed_rss2', 'fb_disable_feed', 1);
add_action('do_feed_atom', 'fb_disable_feed', 1);
add_action('do_feed_rss2_comments', 'fb_disable_feed', 1);
add_action('do_feed_atom_comments', 'fb_disable_feed', 1);

I placed this code directly under the RSS comment tag in my theme's functions.php file.

From now on my RSS feed is totally disable. Another hole blocked to anyone or anything using my RSS feed to obtain my content.
Good stuff! One of the benefits of using the yoast plugin is that you can put in original content from your site.com or whatever text or links you want.

Neil

AGD Member Ltd
Reaction score
I was also concerned about this but Google can tell who was the original source and whoever copied your content will be penalized for duplicate content.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AussieDave

24 years & still going!
Reaction score
I was also concerned about this but Google can tell who was the original source and whoever copied your content will be penalized for duplicate content.

That's what I kept telling myself too. Not to mention I had Google+ for the Author and Publisher, which is supposed to assign that content ownership ;)
However, when your unique copyrighted blog content (etc) is stolen and used to out-rank your own site, you come to the realisation, you've been living in a false sense of security.

If you value your own content and want to avoid scrappers leeching from your blog feeds, then this IS the best solution.