Title tags /H1 tags

Darren Colebrook

Affiliate Guard Dog Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever had issues with google not picking up title tags correctly or H1 tags?

Running checks on my website and it seems they are not getting picked up.

Darren Colebrook

Reaction score
Yes I do know we have h1 tags at the bottom of the home page, this is already a fix that we have in our list. To be fair our home page is the only page I think that doesn't have a h1 tag at the top. This page is a much better example. https://www.sbat.com/tips/free-football-betting-tips

It has a H1 tag and a title tag and neither of these show up when I do on page SEO checks

Darren Colebrook

Reaction score
Title tag is as follows
<title>free football betting tips &#x26BD; Sports, Bets &amp; Tips</title>

<h1>Free Football Betting Tips</h1>

both are there in the code but don't seem to get read

Reaction score
As falseadoom said ... h1 should be used only once in a page and preferably within the beginning of the page. (up the fold)

Darren Colebrook

Reaction score
Check above and read the thread, I have said I am well aware of this, it's also the only page on the website that has this. Hence the reason a quoted another page.

Reaction score
Ohh I see... sorry about that I must have missed that :) ...... what tools are you using to see if they are being picked up?

falseadoom

Reaction score
This is your first h1 noted in site

<!--[if lte IE 9]>
<div class="outdated">
<div class="container">
<div class="row">
<div class="col-md-12">
<h1 class="outdated__title">You are using an outdated browser.</h1>
<h3 class="outdated__subtitle">Some content may be lost or not displayed correctly.</h3>
<p class="outdated__description">Please consider upgrading to a more recent browser.</p>
<a href="http://browsehappy.com/?locale=en" target="_blank" class="outdated__link">Upgrade your browser</a>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
<![endif]-->

then you have <h1>Free Football Betting Tips</h1>

Darren Colebrook

Reaction score
Yes but the coding before that means it is hidden and only takes effect if someone is using IE9, this is because ie9 is so poor it needs to tell people to switch from using it.

This is actually a google suggestion.

Tarun Reddy

Reaction score
It's commented so it is seen in code source. Not saying good idea but I wouldn't give it a h1 tag

If we understand the code, it is triggered only when someone uses <IE9 browser, only then the <h1 class="outdated__title">You are using an outdated browser.</h1> is displayed.

And it isn't about having two h1's on same page.

Coming to the site SBAT.com , Below is what i see.

Title : Sports,Bets & Tips

Meta Description :
SBAT home of Sports Statistics and Betting Tips. Our Betting Experts deliver Betting Previews, Live Scores, Results, Daily Football Accas, Bet of the Day and Horse Racing Tips

Three Header 1's currently on the page SBAT.com: Sports, Betting, Tips

Talking about the basic structure of the page,

<meta title> </meta title>
<meta description> </meta description>
<meta keywords> </meta keywords> ( Google, once mentioned they won't care much about the meta keywords of a page )
<h1> </h1>
<p> </p>
<h2> </h2>
<p> </p>
<h3> </h3>
<p> </p>

Coming to Header1, Header2, Header3. Technically it means hierarchy. And the article should follow a structure in which they way we want a user to read and the bots to crawl a webpage.

Example : If am writing about article about car insurance, my article headers will be like this below.
<h1> What is Car Insurance? </h1>
<h2> Where to buy car insurance </h2>
<h3> Different types of car insurance </h3>

( This is how one single page ranks for too many keywords )

As Sbat.com is home page, and the site is about Sportsbetting tips, match reviews, statistics & betting guides.

<h1> Sports betting at Sbat.com </h1>
<h2> Match Previews at sbat.com </h2>
<h3> Betting guides at sbat.com </h3>
<h4> Match Stats at sbat.com </h4>

The above are only suggestions.

And as i see on the home page, the three header columns are placed in a single row.
The better is to have single row for each header, which also allows you to add little bit more content, can add all your primary/secondary targeted keywords and other keywords where you link to respective directory pages.

Issues about crawling,
This is the coder job, where he need to make sure there are not duplicates in the code, because we don't want to confuse the google bot. And once the code is properly placed, following the optimized structure, there won't be any crawling issues.

To audit a website, ScreamingFrog is the best to understand how our site looks to the bots. Also helps to detect all the duplicate pages, metas etc.

Sorry if i wrote little too much, which isn't needed. :)