New Zealand Earthquake - The Gooner are you ok?

AussieDave

24 years & still going!
Reaction score

LandofOz

Affiliate Guard Dog Member
Reaction score
I hope that all is well with you Paul.

TheGooner

Reaction score
Afternoon Ladies and Gents.

Yes we are fine here - we're about 200-300 miles North of the quake centre as the crow flies (and quakes shake).

It WAS a biggie here - lasted around 100 seconds at midnight - and at it's peak felt like the house was riding a tram - very up and down.
Slightly worrying is the trend for the quake centres to be moving North, this one was about 100 miles North of Christchurch ... so in 2-3 more ?????

Most NZ houses are constructed from timber (ours is too) so it flexed, and creaked, but there are no signs of damage from this distance.
Quakes are rumbling every 2-3 minutes still, but it is settling down and (hopefully) will be another few years before another biggie.

Here is a good government site which auto lists quakes -> http://www.geonet.org.nz/quakes/felt

But to be honest the Kiwi's here just accept it and get on with it .. the country owes it's existence to quakes and once the shaking stops everyone pitches in.
When we see some of the deep flooding in Europe, or bushfires in Australia it's the same thought in reverse - WOW how do you cope ?

So thanks for the thoughts - all good here
;-)

Guard Dog

Guard Dog
Staff member
Reaction score
Great to hear that all is well! I like the concept of everyone pitching in!!! We need some of that here in the US :)

AussieDave

24 years & still going!
Reaction score
@TheGooner - Glad to know you and your loved ones are safe and sound :)

@Guard Dog - Always been a friendly bantering rivalry between Kiwis and Aussies. However if either Country is in trouble (quakes, bushfires etc.,) and needs help, you can bet your-bottom-dollar, both will send the resources and people. It's the same on the local front. Everyone pitches in and helps.

Frank

Reaction score
I lived on a fault line for years, lots of big quakes every year plus hundreds of small ones including the volcano tremors, The ones at night are the worst as you don't know if you are dereaming until ti keeps shaking then you think.. should I just run out in my underwear "being in a high rise" or just hope the tower holds up?

AussieDave

24 years & still going!
Reaction score
When we lived in Adelaide (AU) a few years. Returned back back home in the wee hours 1 night (could hear a pin drop). Was just about to hit bed, when this almighty raw began its crescendo. No word of a lie, was like a squadron of fight jets. Then things started to shake, a few thing fell off shevles etc. Lasted a good 15 sec or so. That magnitude was only 3.3.

But for anyone not familar with what it was... Could easily think of Chicken Little, and the sky falling in :D

GraceMarsh

Reaction score
A huge earthquake (magnitude-7.8) struck Christchurch in the early hours of Monday (14'th Nov 2016).

I know we have a few NZ members. @TheGooner -is the most known. Not sure where your located mate, but hope your safe and well :)

Cheers

Dave

It doesn't matter where you live, earthquakes is always a great catastrophe for all people. It brings disturbing feelings and emotions, destroyed human lives....and many other bad things...

AussieDave

24 years & still going!
Reaction score
@GraceMarsh - do you make it a habit of using other people's photos?

tumblr_m4u53jE72K1r5zx99o1_500.jpg

copyright owner of image:
http://trust-y0urheart.tumblr.com/post/25164169033