Creating Affiliate Website using WIX

EliasB

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum and I hope I've placed my first thread in the right place.

I tried searching for any threads including info on WIX but couldn't find anything.

Does anyone here have any experience from running an affiliate website created on WIX? I know a lot of people have created sites using Wordpress, however I find WIX much simpler and user friendly, they also have a lot of nice plugins.

All comments are welcome :)

Thanks.
Elias

Engineer

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome to AGD, Elias.

Unfortunately I don't have any experience with WIX, sorry. But if you like it and if it does what you need it to do, awesome -- full steam ahead with your future site. :D

Guard Dog

Guard Dog
Staff member
Reaction score
I can't imagine it being 'bad'. Wix sites can be popular just as easily as a Wordpress site, IMO. Give it a try - could be actually good for your site, hard to say.

And, welcome to AGD.

TheGooner

Affiliate Guard Dog Member
Reaction score
Just be aware that if you create a site about online gambling then you'll probably get closed down for breach of T&Cs.
I could not find any specific mention - but many US based programs go crazy about online gambling content using their interfaces -

I also noted this ...

2.2. You undertake and agree to:
5. allow Wix to use in perpetuity, worldwide and free of charge, any version of your User Website (or any part thereof) for any of Wix’s marketing and promotional activities, online and/or offline, and modify it as reasonably required for such purposes, and you waive any claims against Wix or anyone on its behalf relating to any past, present or future moral rights, artists’ rights, or any other similar rights worldwide that you may have in or to your User Website with respect to such limited permitted uses;

Which appears to say that they can use your website and content as they see fit ... not good.

LandofOz

Reaction score
Personally, I would never want to invest time, money and effort into creating and marketing a site that could be shut down tomorrow.

EliasB

Reaction score
Welcome to AGD, Elias.

Unfortunately I don't have any experience with WIX, sorry. But if you like it and if it does what you need it to do, awesome -- full steam ahead with your future site. :D

I can't imagine it being 'bad'. Wix sites can be popular just as easily as a Wordpress site, IMO. Give it a try - could be actually good for your site, hard to say.

And, welcome to AGD.

Thank you guys for taking the time to respond! :)

Just be aware that if you create a site about online gambling then you'll probably get closed down for breach of T&Cs.
I could not find any specific mention - but many US based programs go crazy about online gambling content using their interfaces -

I also noted this ...

2.2. You undertake and agree to:
allow Wix to use in perpetuity, worldwide and free of charge, any version of your User Website (or any part thereof) for any of Wix’s marketing and promotional activities, online and/or offline, and modify it as reasonably required for such purposes, and you waive any claims against Wix or anyone on its behalf relating to any past, present or future moral rights, artists’ rights, or any other similar rights worldwide that you may have in or to your User Website with respect to such limited permitted uses;

Which appears to say that they can use your website and content as they see fit ... not good.

Personally, I would never want to invest time, money and effort into creating and marketing a site that could be shut down tomorrow.

Thanks guys for the response, makes total sense. I have contacted WIX support with some questions to find out if I should stay away from using their service or if I should continue.

RyanWeb

Reaction score
I have heard one story from a friend of their domain being held ransom by wix more or less. If they didn't pay XXX amount of dollars they refused to release it. I don't know the whole story, but my only question would be why...

Why use them when you can have full control?

If you do use them, make regular backups and do not, get your domain from the same company that manages your hosting.

There was a story of someone's website being attached via DDOS, and the host claimed $4000 for damages from the website owner and refused to release his domain or a copy of his website until he paid. One reason to always keep them separate, it's the cheapest insurance plan you will find :)

NDG

Reaction score
I would also recommend going with something that you have full control over.

bettingappguide

Reaction score
WordPress is easy to use once you have had a play around with it. Like Gooners said Wix may pull the site. Probably have to pay a bit to get a proper domain not a xxxx.wix.com address or however they do it. May as well go for WordPress, drupal or something similar and host it somewhere.

juegos

Reaction score
I'd also recommend going for Wordpress since you'll have much more control over what you do. Else go for at least the paid version of Wix, or you may regret it later. Will be following this thread in case you decide to go for Wix, curious!

Mikew

Reaction score
I have built few sites using WIX when I started and trust, you don't want to use it. I am now on Wordpress and its imo the best and easiest of all.

Don't get pulled by the drag and drop feature and awesome images. Unless you want to built a one or two page site then you can go for it.
But if you want a site that you loads fast, responsive, has a blog or news, fully editable and control then go for wordpress.

I had spend about 2 months building my first site on wix and go pissed off about the time I lost on there when I discover wordpress.
Avoid wix is my advice.

GAPVO

Reaction score
Hi Elias, I think WordPress is good. Use this for years and have created many websites with it. Only with the templates and plug-in, until you have found the right one. It is also very difficult to find a template where everything is included. Something is always missing or is not what you want it to be.

Rick Perry

AGD Member Ltd
Reaction score
I personally prefer to have the "property" (website) under my full control, that's why I don't recommend WIX or any other 3rd party website builder..