Closed Email Addresses due to spam

Guard Dog

Guard Dog
Staff member
Reaction score
What a pain in the butt... I get back from a long weekend to find that someone was using a bunch of fake email addresses that linked to one of my domains :( So - I got a ton of return emails saying that either they don't allow unsolicited emails, or that user is not on the email server, and many more :(

Cleaning my inbox was not fun today. Has thousands of emails and had to close all emails on one of my domains so that nothing can be 'spoofed'. No hacker in there, just using my domain as the 'reply to' address :(

Shite!

Aussie-Dave

Former AGD Member
Reaction score
Hi Andy,

This practice is on the increase.
Some ass clown is sending me spam using the "reply to" addy for my business domain. As all 100 or so domains are associated to the email, I can't close it, I can spam block it, I can't do anything. Least not that I know of.

With this type of abuse on the increase, it's about time mail servers did a check to see it the sender has the authority to use the reply to addy. I think that would stop of lot of spam in it's tracks.

There has to be a better way to combat this crap.

Cheers

:)

Dave

Intertops

Affiliate Program Representative
Reaction score
Hi Andy,

I would suggest that you implement sender/address verification (find more information here: www.postfix.org/ADDRESS_VERIFICATION_README.html - I do not know what e-mail server you use).

The advantage of this is that you implement with this some kind of grey listing (Copied from the description: What happen is that each time a given mailbox receives an email from an unknown contact (ip), that mail is rejected with a "try again later"-message (This happens at the SMTP layer and is transparent to the end user). This, in the short run, means that all mail is delayed at least until the sender tries again). The foreign server tries to contact yours. Your server sends back a “please try again later”. The foreign server then dismisses the error message in most of the cases as it is not as important as an e-mail and this saves you a lot of work.

More information on grey listing here: www.greylisting.org

Best regards,
Roman