Bitcoin Wallet Question

abc

Affiliate Guard Dog Member
Reaction score
Quick Question for some Bitcoin pros

Found an old wallet.dat file on my computer, There might be some btc in there as i used to play around with it when it first came out.. or It might be empty so not really worried, this wallet.dat file is from 2013

Searched all over google, how do i get the bitcoins out of this file? Where can i upload it too?

Have 2 more old pcs in the house going to search them too, see if any old btc accounts are on them.. Maybe bought a few thousand coins when they were 1 cent.. Lol I wish

RyanWeb

Reaction score
Do you know what wallet you used at the time? Was it Electrum or Mycelium? I believe you would just install the wallet, and then replace the wallet.dat file with the one you have.

Be careful, I just read a story titled: $100 in bitcoin in 2010 now worth almost $73 million: rt.com/business/389190-bitcoin-historic-price-high/ so you never know...

TheGooner

Reaction score
Found an old wallet.dat file on my computer, There might be some btc in there as i used to play around with it when it first came out.. or It might be empty so not really worried, this wallet.dat file is from 2013
You either need the password and the old wallet program you used ... OR the 12 seed words (in the correct order) that were used for the creation of the wallet.
You may have written those 12 seed words down and stored them safely? Most wallet programs EXPRESSLY tell you to keep this somewhere very safe.

If you do NOT have either then any BTC stored at this wallet location / address are not accessible to you (or anyone else).
It is suspected that maybe as many as a million BTC that have met this fate.

abc

Reaction score
Thanks For answers.. Going to try to remember where it was from..